Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookie Dough Balls
I guess I couldn’t let this season go by with at least ONE pumpkin 🎃🍁recipe! With that, Pumpkin Spice Cookie Dough Balls were born. They are like truffles but basically even better because it’s safe cookie dough! I’m literally eating one as I type. So, full disclosure, Casey is allergic to pumpkin but tolerates canned pumpkin because it’s actually…squash! Really! So, these super fun cookie dough balls are Top 8, seed, and many more free but as always customizable to your safe needs. You can even make these Paleo with cassava flour, coconut oil and coconut sugar.
Raw flour can contain bacteria that can make you ill, but a quick bake of the flour (gluten free or regular) ensures you are killing potential hazards.
If pumpkin isn’t your jam, then it can very easily be replaced with applesauce. Chocolate chips are inside the cookie dough bites we love dairy free Pascha mini chips. Dip them, roll them, switch up the fillings-it’s up to you!
This couldn’t be a better recipe to get the kids involved with and the cookie dough bites freeze wonderfully. Stock up now and pull them out for an anytime treat.
Happy Thanksgiving to my KBFC crew and remember life is short so eat dessert first…safely! 💙👩🏻🍳🦃🍪🎃
Ingredients and Substitutions
Gluten Free or Wheat Flour – Whether you choose to use a gluten free flour blend, cassava flour, or wheat flour, you are going to toast in in the oven briefly before adding to the cookie dough base. Why? Raw flour can contain bacteria that can make you ill, but a quick bake of the flour (gluten free or regular) ensures you are killing potential hazards. It’s fast and a necessary step.
Vegan or Regular Butter – This is your choice, whatever is safe for you! Coconut oil is tricky because it’s not temperature stable but if you keep the cookie dough balls chilled after preparing it’ll be ok.
Pumpkin Purée/Applesauce – I created this with the whole PSL/pumpkin pie flavor profile in mind but feel free to do applesauce instead with your own flavor mashups.
Vegan or Regular Chips – As always, I use my favorite non-dairy Pascha mini chips in the cookie dough base. The chips are optional but…why wouldn’t you? 😉 I prefer mini chips because they bend in better for the bite size treat an a little goes a long way but use regular size if that’s all you have.
Toppings – I chose to dip the cookie dough balls in melted white and dark Pascha and add decorative sprinkles but the rest is all up to you. Be creative-crushed Oreo crumbs, graham crumbs, or even candies.
**As always, please check which brands are safe for your needs.**
Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookie Dough Balls
Author: Katie Martino Lopez
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Chill Time: at least one hour
Total Time: with dipping, about 1 hours 30 minutes
Yield: about 24-30 cookie dough balls
- 1 ¾ c. All-purpose gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum or wheat flour. If using cassava flour (Otto’s is my favorite BY FAR!), then use a measurement of 1 1/2 c.
- 1 ¼ sticks (10 Tbls.) safe butter, regular butter, room temperature or cold coconut oil
- 1/3 c. granulated sugar (if making this Paleo, use 1/4 c. Coconut sugar)
- 1/2 c. brown or coconut sugar
- scant 1/3 c. pumpkin puree or applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. ginger (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. mini or regular safe chocolate chips
- OPTIONAL white and dark chocolate for dipping, sprinkles, crushed cookies, etc. for rolling and decorating
- NOTE!!! This first step must be done!! See Notes above. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. When oven is at temperature, spread the flour on a sheet in an even layer and bake 10-15 minutes, mixing and respreading halfway through. Cool completely before using.
- In a small bowl add flour of choice, salt, spices, and optional mini chips, whisking to combine. Set aside.
- With a stand mixer or hand blender, beat safe butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until lighter in color and fluffier. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl often to combine.
- Add pumpkin puree or applesauce, mixing until well blended,
- Add dry ingredients and mix well until fully combined.
- At this point take notice of your dough. If it is too soft to scoop, then refrigerate for about a half hour. DO NOT PUT IN THE FREEZER! The dough doesn’t chill evenly if you do. If it is not too soft, then use a tablespoon or small cookie scoop to make cookie dough balls. Do not make the dough balls too big or it’s too sweet and overwhelming. Drop on a lined sheet pan and chill at least one hour. The dough balls can be kept undipped in the refrigerator for up to a week at this point or wrapped well and frozen for up to 2 months.
- If you are dipping in chocolate, then melt while the dough balls are chilling. Prepare your toppings as well if using. Do not make the chocolate too hot or of will soften the cookie dough balls.
- Working quickly, dip the cookie dough balls in chocolate (be aware-the dough is cold so the chocolate will set up quickly!) then sprinkle on/roll in toppings. Chill when complete. Store finished cookie dough balls in a n airtight container in the refrigerator.
- The cookie dough balls, dipped or undipped, can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week. They are best in an airtight container, so no smells are absorbed.
- The cookie dough balls can be frozen, wrapped well, for up to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator, not at room temperature.
- These are not good for baking! They will be much harder than a regular cookie dough formula.
As we all know, reading labels and preparing food when managing allergies is a job within itself with much responsibility. All the brands I use are ones that I have contacted, and Casey has eaten safely. That being said, I must remind…
Please do your own research when deciding which products and foods are safe for the allergies you manage. These are the ones that are safe for our needs but may not be for you. Everyone has different comfort levels with manufacturing and production procedures.
And, as a friendly reminder, always have 2 epinephrine auto injectors on hand!